Skip to main content
03/03, 2010 05:55PM thehomer 1 post
hey guys,

just want to know how you feel about buying shares in openttd. during the last few days it seems to me that everybody is buying shares and taking profit in other peoples skills. i personally dont like the idea of buying shares, cause if you want to win you are always like forced to buy shares of other players companies. if u dont do u will probably loose and i always forget to do...

so how do u feel about it? keep this function or get rid of it? i would prefer last.

thehomer :)
03/03, 2010 08:09PM UA TRANS 27 posts
I am against buying and selling shares...

So this function should be blocked...

Because first succesful plater can buy shares of another
and sometimes needs to do nothing to win,
and sell it in one time...

I used this mechanism few times...

But other players feel good to be parasit on ohter players skills

UA-TRANS
03/04, 2010 10:36PM Hakiki 2 posts
/signed

This function should absolutely be blocked in a game like this, most people don't use it luckily, but if (or rather WHEN as it is with some players) one person uses it it just rips of money from other players effort.
Doesn't belong even remotely, get rid of it please.
03/05, 2010 09:58AM Chuck 16 posts
I think buying and selling shares are an intrinsic part of OTTD - and form an important part of long term strategy - I am completely for the use of shares as a profit mechanism as they are in real life and disagree that they should be disallowed.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?
03/05, 2010 11:25AM Hakiki 2 posts
Yes, you most likely are.

In real life you can't buy shares of other companies unless someone who already owns them (the company) are actually willing to sell them.
In real life buying shares doesn't mean you will get the appropriate %age of income.
In real life, the game isn't over once you've aquired a certain amount of wealth.

This has nothing to do with a long term strategy, it has to do with ripping off on other players effort. If you get a decent start it allows you to save up some money from your first three trains, buy some shares, and sit back and take a sip of your tard-o-coke while profiting on other players, while they're losing profit because you're lazy.
03/05, 2010 11:59AM rexis 5 posts
Hi

I'm also against buying shares.

The main fun of playing OTTD is building long tracks and delivering freights to a long distance .
OTTD should not be a stock market game .

03/05, 2010 01:47PM Ed le fou 161 posts
Hi,

It's seems to be a bug, the shareholding should be allowed only after 10 years.

The reason is : to put an end to an already won game, goals on this server can be reached in 10 years.
After that period, the winner is already first, best thing to do is to speed up the game ending.
So everybody can redo from start.

Greetings,

Ed le fou.